Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Beale street music festival!

A great coincidence to our arrival in Memphis was the weekend festival on the river at the end of Beale street.
I did not go Saturday night, was too long a day driving and too much rain. Sunday brought much better weather with it, and after a day of truck maintenance and exercising the dogs, I headed over to the show.
The park on the Mississippi River was packed. Really muddy, and a whole lot of fun!!
5 stages of great music, non stop.
Everything from great blues acts, to classic hip hop, to rock n roll!
I enjoyed all of it tremendously, even the food was great!

The slide brothers were one of my favorites, as was Gary Clarke Jr. I really enjoyed watching Public Enemy do their set, as much for watching the audience as the group on stage.
After dark, I caught the Black Crowes, whom I've seen many times and were better this night than I've ever seen them. And a quick glance at Flaming Lips and Smashing pumpkins before I hit Beale street on my way back. 

Some pics below.

Awesome Sunday Lineup, I caught most of the acts at one point or other...


Beale St. during the day (compare this to later shots at night!)


Public Enemy, Bringing the Noize!


Quality Bluesman, tellin it like it is... 

Got to try some gibsons out through headphones at this stand, very cool!

Quite a Crowd!

The place was reduced to a mudpit, had to watch where you stepped, or fall on your but!

The Mighty Mississippi at night.

The Black Crowes always put on a great show!




No comments:

Post a Comment