Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Amazing arrival in Austin!

We are now in Austin. "The Live Music Capital of the World"...

Austin is only about an hour away from San Antonio, we made the drive on Friday. After making reservations at a campground starting Saturday, I decided to do Friday night right in the thick of the city, with the RV. Austin is a very Urban center, and this prooved to be an interesting night!

Soon after battling traffic, and arriving downtown Friday night, I did what i usually do when arriving in a city. I asked a local - > I waved over one of the local fellas drinking beer from a paper bag. I asked the dude "where have you seen large vehicles, or trucks with trailers park in the area".
The guy, sensing i would be handing over some cash,  was quite helpful, waved me up the hill to a level area with large parking, and 5 hour limit on the parking spot. He also explained the parking machine, and the way you place the sticker in your window. This was 3 dollars well spent, and he then 'kept an eye' on my rig for the evening.

After setting up at the parking spot, we walked the 6th street for a first look at the center of all the musical action. Most of those clups are loud, and have no outdoor seating, so the Dogs and I went into town further, and found a patio spot under the trees at "Opal's Devine", a local eatery popular with locals, and visitors alike.

Our neighbors were local Austinites and were enamored with my weimeriner Mickey. We shared some stories, and they gave me some tips on the area. I enjoyed some Armadillo wheat beer, and a great sandwich.

When I waved over the server to pay my tab, I was told "Welcome to Austin, your friends paid for you". I turned to look. and they were gone. So, I remember their names both started with the letter S. I have them in a photo below, THANK YOU, fine folks, you set the tone for a great first weekend!





2 comments:

  1. Just got caught up on your blog. Awesome so far, keep 'em coming!

    T.

    ReplyDelete